HOW TO PLAY UGLIEST CATCH
The full game board of Ugliest Catch is a wide 5×5 table. However, not all of these positions are available straight away. The reels are fixed – there are always 5 of them, and they always work. However, the top and bottom rows of the slot machine are not greyed out by default. You’ll have to unlock them through specific features, which we’ll explain in a minute.
For now, we’ll mention that the base game does not have any fixed paylines. All you have to do to win is hit matching symbols on at least three reels going from left to right. The row in which the symbols appear doesn’t matter, which means Ugliest Catch boasts 247 ways to win in total.
Beyond that, it’s all about catching the biggest, nastiest fish you possibly can.
Scatters & Enhancer Cells
Hitting the Scatter symbol (the square-shaped one with the letters FS) on any position will open up the top and bottom positions on that reel.
These two positions are special, and they’re called Enhancer Cells. Unlocked Enhancer Cells can contain any regular symbol, but they can also one of three special symbols called xWays, Big Bertha, and Fisherman Wild.
- xWays symbols only appear on Enhancer Cells. After one is revealed, it turns into a random regular symbol while also revealing 2-4 symbols of the same kind on other Enhancer Cells. This effectively also increases the number of ways to win.
- Big Bertha displays a multiplier value that can be won through the Kill N’ Grill Wild Fishing feature. Big Bertha multipliers range can be 100x, 250x, 1,000x or 5,000x. Interestingly, multipliers for this feature can also be increased by hitting Fishing Trophy symbols during regular spins.
- Fisherman Wild acts as a wild, and landing one in an Enhancer Cell triggers the Kill N’ Grill Wild Fishing. The same feature is triggered if you hit a Fisherman Wild anywhere on the table during free spins.
Kill N’ Grill Wild Fishing
If you hit a Fisherman Wild in an open Enhancer cell, this fun little feature kicks off. During it, Fisherman Wilds collect multiplier values that appear on the board through Big Bertha and Fishing Trophy symbols. These multipliers are added on top of any regular winnings. Fish Trophy multipliers can be 2x, 5x, 25x, 250x, 1,000x or 5,000x.
Free spins in Ugliest Catch come in three forms.
- Lunker Spins – Landing 3 scatters triggers 8 Lunker Spins with 6 opened enhancer cells
- Hawg Spins – Landing 4 scatters triggers 9 Hawg Spins with 8 opened enhancer cells
- Honey Hole Spins – Landing 5 scatters triggers 10 Honey Hole Spins with 10 opened enhancer cells
Free spins work as they do in most slot games – the reels simply respin 6-10 times while using the stake you used when you triggered the feature. Note that landing extra Scatters will award an extra free spin during Lunker and Hawg spins, but not Honey Hole spins.
Fisherman Wilds during the Ugliest Catch bonus round always collect any Trophy multipliers. For every four Fisherman Wilds collected, you receive +2 free spins and a standing multiplier called Troll Level. Troll level can increase up to three times, awarding multipliers of 2x, 3x, and 10x to all winnings until the end of the bonus round.
Ugliest Catch is certainly feature-heavy, but you can control these features in two ways.
The first way is by turning on Boosted Bets on the right side of the screen. Booster Bets guarantee that at least one Scatter hits on reel 2 in every spin at the cost of adding a 75% fee to all bets. This substanially increases your chances to trigger free spins. However, it also means that both Enhancer Cells on the second reel are always active, which increases the overall number of active ways to win.
Additionally, you can buy features at any moment by clicking the gold star to the left. Players can get 8 Lunker Spins for 94x the bet, 9 Hawg Spins for 300x the bet, or 10 Honey Hole spins for 866x the bet. If you’re feeling lucky, you can also opt for the “lucky dip” for 390x the bet. This will randomly award one of the three options.